Monday, January 24, 2011

#1 - 9 Hours, At Least.


Let me start off by saying that I did not become an old woman over night. I have, however, been a hermit since I started college in 2006. For those of you who didn't know Preston in college, (or from what I've heard, since he was in 8th grade...) Preston likes to sleep. A lot. There were nights during our early dating season that it was not uncommon for a date to be cut short (and I'm talking, 8 p.m.) because Preston needed to go to bed. Seriously? Seriously. Me, on the other hand, spent the hours between noon and 6:30 (I had a night class at 7, so I had to make time for dinner) taking naps all through college. I strategically planned my schedule so I could have at least 4 hours of optimal napping time during my day. I couldn't function without it. And thus these naps kept me up until at least 1 (maybe even 2) a.m. each night. Which made dating Preston particularly hard seeing as one of us was sleeping at almost every hour of the day. However, with marriage came compromise (and a full time job that doesn't allow me time for naps) and we settled on getting our full 9 hours of sleep at night, rather than the middle of the day.

Needless to say, Preston & I cannot function without at least 9 hours of sleep. At least. 10 is better, 12 is great, but we settle for 9 because we have to make time for at least an hour of 'The Office' before bedtime. Most of our family finds this humorous. "Sarah, isn't it time for your nap?" "Preston, it's past 9 o'clock, why are you still up?!" We have missed appointments, ditched our families, and opted out of shopping on a beautiful Saturday afternoon on numerous occasions because we are too tired to function. But Preston & I have decided that we ridiculed, pestered, and demeaned all because of one thing: we get sleep, and they do not.

And why do we get sleep and they do not? 3 words: screaming little monsters. We have come to the conclusion that the #1 spot on our list must go to our most prized possession because so few people in this world are privileged enough to get it. I have seen 2 a.m., and it isn't as pretty as people make it out to be. And I'm sure it's not any prettier while you are changing a diaper, listening to your child scream, or washing bottles because all of yours are dirty. And so, Preston and I have decided that our selfishness and deep need for at least 9 hours of sleep is far too overbearing to compromise, especially when the average number of hours slept by a new parent (or an experienced one of 18 years) is -2.

So for now, Preston and I will go on loving and living our life, 9 hours of sleep and all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment