Monday, January 24, 2011

The List-An Introduction


There are certain things that come along with being married. New jobs, new locations, family, in-laws, and probably some other things that I've tried to forget, but probably the most notable of these things is the expectation of children.

As of the date of this entry, my wife and I have been married for almost 2 1/2 years. I cannot tell you the number of times my wife and I have been approached about the "life giving miracle" of child rearing. We had decided on very early on in our marriage that children were not anywhere in our near future, but try to explain that to parents and grandparents who are dying to get their hands on a grandchild.

In my wife's family, she is the oldest of three children. Add to this that her mother is an only child, and her mother's mother resides in the same house as her mom. Needless to say, the expectation is for my wife, Sarah, to be the first between her and her sister to "give this family a grandchild." I wish I could describe my wife's face when we hear this declaration from our family. The only way to describe it is to say "Not only 'no,' but '_fill in your own word__ no.'"

My family is a little different. There are six kids in my family and my brother and his wife, along with my step-sister have taken the burden off of me and my wife to have kids. (For which I am truly grateful) There are babies all over the place in my family, so luckily there is no pressure there. At least none that we can note at this time.

This expectation only gets worse when our high school and college friends are "going for the end zone on 1st down from their own 20 after the opening kick" and we scream from the sidelines to call an audible! "There's a whole for quarters left to go for the win! Run the ball!"

Everyone keeps saying "You say you don't want kids right now, but eventually you'll change your mind."........First off, sure, I'll take your word for it. We might just decide to change our mind somewhere down the road. And secondly, I think we will decide when that will happen.

But until then, we've starting compiling a list. This list began it's compilation early on in our marriage and has continued to grow to a point where now we must share it with the world. A blog seemed like a good place to distill this information and to offer hope and laughter to both sides of the camp. The premise is simple: List the reasons why we don't want to have kids. I would let you into my head and tell you a few of the items, but that would ruin the fun for the rest of the blog. So, I hope you enjoy this as much as I will. And one day I hope to find a publisher. I'm being facetious, but seriously...that would be awesome.




2 comments:

Stephanie Ellison said...

W-O-W! This makes me laugh and laugh and laugh! You guys are so cute and I agree with every reason you will post!

Mandy said...

God's sense of humor makes me a little concerned that the starting of this blog will end in a big surprise for you two! :) hehe Love you guys lots and love that you not having kids frees you up to come live with ME!

Post a Comment